Guy Kawasaki’s latest book is “APE: Author, Publisher, Entrepreneur — How to Publish a Book,” co-authored with Shawn Welch.
“With Shawn Welch, a tech wizard, I wrote ‘APE’ to help people take control of their writing careers. ‘APE’s’ thesis is powerful yet simple: filling the roles of author, publisher and entrepreneur yields results that rival traditional publishing. We call this ‘artisanal publishing’ — that is, when writers who love their craft control the publishing process and produce high-quality books.
“‘APE’ is 300 pages of step-by-step, tactical advice and practical inspiration. If you want a hype-filled, get-rich-quick book, you should look elsewhere. On the other hand, if you want a comprehensive and realistic guide to self-publishing, ‘APE’ is the answer.”
Seth Godin, author of “The Icarus Project,” said, “Nuts, bolts, and inspiration too. Once again, Guy delivers, kicking the shiitake out of anyone who would tell you that you shouldn’t, wouldn’t or couldn’t write a book.”
Kawasaki is the co-founder of Alltop.com, an “online magazine rack” of popular topics on the web, and a founding partner at Garage Technology Ventures. Previously, he was the chief evangelist of Apple.
He is the author of 10 books, including “Reality Check,” “The Art of the Start,” “Rules for Revolutionaries,” “How to Drive Your Competition Crazy,” “Selling the Dream,” and “The Macintosh Way.” Kawasaki has a BA from Stanford University and an MBA from UCLA as well as an honorary doctorate from Babson College.
For more information, go to www.guykawasaki.com.
Table of Contents
[ Author ]
1. Should You Write a Book?
2. A Review of Traditional Publishing
3. The Self-Publishing Revolution
4. The Ascent of Ebooks
5. Tools for Writers
6. How to Write Your Book
7. How to Finance Your Book
[ Publisher ]
8. How to Edit Your Book
9. How to Avoid the Self-Published Look
10. How to Get an Effective Book Cover
11. Understanding Book Distribution
12. How to Sell Your Ebook Through Amazon, Apple, Barnes & Noble, Google, and Kobo
13. How to Convert Your File
14. How to Sell Ebooks Directly to Readers
15. How to Use Author-Services Companies
16. How to Use Print-on-Demand Companies
17. How to Upload Your Book
18. How to Price Your Book
19. How to Create Audio and Foreign Language Versions of Your Book
20. Self-Publishing Issues
21. How to Navigate Amazon
[ Entrepreneur ]
22. How to Guerrilla-Market Your Book
23. How to Build an Enchanting Personal Brand
24. How to Choose a Platform Tool
25. How to Create a Social-Media Profile
26. How to Share on Social Media
27. How to Comment and Respond on Social Media
28. How to Pitch Bloggers and Reviewers
29. How We APEd This Book