“Hiding in Plain Sight,” a National Disability Awareness Month event designed to raise awareness of Asian Pacific Americans with disabilities, will be held on Wednesday, Oct. 23, at Los Angeles Theater Center, 514 S. Spring St. in Downtown Los Angeles. Reception at 5 p.m., program from 6 to 8:30 p.m.
The program is presented by the Japanese American Bar Association and Asian Pacific American Bar Association in conjunction with Asians and Pacific Islanders with Disabilities of California.
Experts in the mental health, physical and developmental disabilities fields will discuss the unique challenges facing Asians and Pacific Islanders with disabilities and ways in which employers can accommodate people with disabilities. Legal experts will explain federal and state employment laws that can affect the employment of people with disabilities.
Organizers are inviting a wide range of people and groups to this event, which will provide an unusual opportunity for attorneys and service providers to share resources and information.
• Jon Ichinaga, chief counsel, State Department of Fair Employment and Housing
• Michi Fu, associate professor at California School of Professional Psychology at Alliant International University
• Erica Jones, executive director, Pacific DBTAC (Disability and Business Technical Assistance Center)
• Anna Park, regional attorney, U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
• Dan Tzuang, child and adult psychiatrist
• Peter Wong, research director, Asian Pacific Islanders with Disabilities of California
Participating organizations include APAIT (Asian Pacific AIDS Intervention Team), Orange County Psychiatric Society’s AAIC (Asian American Issues Committee), APEX (Asian Professional Exchange), and UCLA Asian Pacific Alumni.
Sponsors: Korean American Bar Association, Asian Americans Advancing Justice – Los Angeles, California Employment Lawyers Association, Philippine American Bar Association, Southern California Chinese Lawyers Association, Los Angeles Habilitation House.
This event is free to all attendees. RSVP by Oct. 17 to Lauren Takeda at firstname.lastname@example.org or (626) 665-0529.