TORRANCE — Master taiko drummer Hiro Hayashida will present a concert with special guests on Friday, Oct. 18, at 8 p.m. at the James R. Armstrong Theatre, 3330 Civic Center Dr. near Torrance Boulevard and Madrona Avenue in Torrance.
Hayashida was a member of the world-renowned taiko group Kodo for eight years and now leads a professional taiko group, Zi-Pang, in Japan. He teaches taiko throughout Japan, Southeast Asia and the United States. Recently he performed in France with a youth taiko group, Super Junior Taiko.
Hayashida is also a leading figure in performing the katsugi oke-daiko (shoulder-slung taiko), having designed oke-daiko models for the Asano Daiko and Remo Drum companies.
Several internationally acclaimed artists will accompany Hayashida:
– Bassist Alphonso Johnson, well-known as a solo artist who has played with Santana and the jazz group Weather Report;
– Karen Briggs, a virtuoso violinist who often tours with Yanni;
– Yukiko Matsuyama, a koto artist who appeared on a Grammy-winning recording with Paul Winter;
– Diana Dentino, a keyboardist who played with Kitaro and now tours with Peabo Bryson;
– Fredo Ortiz, a percussionist with the Beastie Boys.
Also appearing in the concert will be the Taiko Center of Los Angeles, directed by Rev. Tom Kurai.
Tickets are $30 general, $25 for seniors and students, $20 for groups of 10 or more. For reservations, call (310) 781-7171. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.taikocenter.com.