Genki Conference: Caregiver’s Edition will be held on Sunday, April 27, at the Venice Japanese Community Center, 12448 Braddock Dr., Los Angeles.
Free for all attendees. Registration, lunch and resource fair from 12 to 1:30 p.m.; program from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m.
• “Family Dynamics in Caregiving” with Christina Irving, family consultant, Family Caregiver Alliance. Are you caregiving from a long distance, thinking about having your parent move in with you, or having to make decisions for your loved one? These are common issues many caregivers go through that may create tension among other family members. Learn how caregiving affects family dynamics and how you can communicate with family members effectively.
• “I Am Somebody: Dignity in Caregiving” with Frances Kakugawa, poet and author of “Breaking the Silence: A Caregiver’s Voice.” Come for a poignant, inspirational session that will remind you that you are not alone. Glean wisdom from a seasoned caregiver who has dealt with some of the same experiences, feelings, and struggles that you do — and triumphed.
• Hands-on caregiving demonstrations with Barbara Fukuji, P.T., Whittier Hospital Medical Center; Cheryl Nakagiri, P.T., DG Therapy Group; Myra Chang, O.T., Ali Kamada, P.T., and Janis Ozaki, P.T., Centinela Hospital Medical Center. Learn how to assist your loved one safely and comfortably.
• “Age in Place” with Kathleen Cole, OTR/L, CAPS, ECHM and Shirley Nakaki, P.T., CAPS, ECHM, home accessibility specialists and partners in Adapt=Ability, Solutions for Accessible Living. Learn how to make your home work for you with a focus on safety, comfort and convenience while embracing the concepts of healthy aging.
• “Options and Resources for Long-Term Caregiving” with Claudia Ellano-Ota, LCSW, executive director, Caregiver Resource Center-Orange County. Learn what options are available for long-term care and how much they cost.
• “Health Care Reform and You” with Shawn Miyake, CEO, Keiro Senior HealthCare. Learn how the Affordable Care Act impacts you and our community.
Presented by Keiro Senior HealthCare and the Westside Conference Organizing Committee (Japanese Institute of Sawtelle, Venice Hongwanji Buddhist Temple, Venice Japanese Community Center, Venice Pioneer Project, Venice Santa Monica Free Methodist Church, Westlight Community Church, West Los Angeles Buddhist Temple, West Los Angeles Holiness Church, and West Los Angeles United Methodist Church).
To register, go to www.keiro.org/new-site/news-and-events/genki-conference-vjcc-2014, download the registration flyer and mail the form to Genki Conference: Caregiver’s Edition, 325 S. Boyle Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90033; or email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Conference Registration” and include name, phone number, mailing address, your first and second choices of breakout session, and whether you would like consultations from an attorney or pharmacist. For more information, call (323) 980-2353.