BUENA PARK — On April 18, the Orange Coast Optimist Club held its annual Youth Recognition Night, recognizing the youth club’s presidents, graduating seniors and scholarship winners.
The club awarded $6,000 in scholarships to deserving high school seniors. President Glenn Tanaka welcomed the more than 100 attendees at the Knott’s Berry Farm Resort Hotel in Buena Park for the awards dinner.
The following young scholars were chosen based on their academic achievements, school involvement but most importantly their record of community service:
• Justine Bui, Jasen Pacis and Amy Yoshinaga from Fountain Valley High School
• Ryan Funai from Marina High School
• Andrew Kaichi from Kennedy High School
• Connor Kubo from Troy High School
• Kristy Omura from El Dorado High School
• Jade Santos from Beckman High School
The organization also recognized the Youth Octagon Club presidents: Amy Yoshinaga, 12th Grade; Bayley Hagino, 11th Grade; Lauren Wada, 10th Grade; Timothy En, 9th Grade; and Kobi Kozai, Junior Optimist Club president.
The scholarship winners will appear at the club’s annual steak dinner and reverse raffle, which raises funds for these scholarships, on June 7 at 5:30 p.m. at Tanaka Farms in Irvine. For tickets, contact Judy James at firstname.lastname@example.org.