Derek Tran

At Rep. Derek Tran’s (D-Garden Grove) urging, President Trump has signed a request for a Federal Emergency Declaration submitted by the State of California in response to the ongoing toxic chemical incident, known as the “Western Incident,” at the GKN Aerospace facility in Garden Grove.

“Over 50,000 of our neighbors have experienced unprecedented chaos and uncertainty over the last four days. I am grateful to our first responders for their tireless efforts to keep our community safe and mitigate this crisis,” said Tran. “I want to extend my sincere gratitude to Gov. [Gavin] Newsom and Sens. [Alex] Padilla and [Adam] Schiff for their steadfast commitment to securing every possible resource available to keep Orange County residents safe.

“A Federal Emergency Declaration will provide necessary additional support to protect public health, safe-guard our environment, and defray the significant cost of this crisis.”

Tran, with Padilla and Schiff, sent a letter to Trump urging approval of California’s request for a Federal Emergency Declaration.

Janet Nguyen

Orange County Supervisor Janet Nguyen, who also requested federal assistance, said in a statement on May 25, “We’ve heard some positive developments today. Thank you again to President Trump for approving the federal emergency declaration for Orange County and our ongoing hazmat situation in Garden Grove.

“We heard from the Orange County Fire Authority that their operation last night was successful, and they have managed to bring the temperature in the tank down. The evacuation orders are still in place and they are continuing to monitor those tanks and will provide updates later today. OCFA and responding agencies are working hard to bring you home as soon as safe and possible.

“I know that this is not a normal Memorial Day. My staff and I are bringing hot dogs to the evacuation shelters so we don’t have to miss out too much on the holiday. This has been a huge effort and we’ll continue to get through this together.”

A Federal Emergency Declaration activates additional federal resources to support life-saving activities. These resources include coordination of federal agencies to supplement state and local efforts to ensure public health and environmental safety, and covering 75% of the cost of any federal resources used. Services provided by federal agencies may include air monitoring, plume modeling, environmental assessment, hazardous materials containment, and other public health measures as requested.

Progress Report

Tran said on May 25 that he had been briefed by the Orange County Fire Authority that the imminent threat of a catastrophic explosion at the plant has been lifted. While there was still a potential risk to the immediate area within the updated boundaries of the evacuation zone, 65% of residents were permitted to return to their homes effective 6 p.m. that day.

“I am grateful for the tireless work of the OC Fire Authority, local police, and emergency response professionals to mitigate this crisis and keep our community safe,” said Tran. “I am also grateful for Gov. Gavin Newsom’s leadership during this crisis. While there remains an immediate potential risk, the work of the OC Fire Authority is moving in the right direction.

“I encourage everyone in the affected area to follow guidance from local authorities and avoid the updated zones. Our community is rightfully angry and, now that the threat has been reduced, our work will immediately prioritize demanding accountability from all responsible actors. I’ll continue working with local, state, and federal partners to ensure our residents get the answers and relief they deserve.”

On May 26, Tran announced that all evacuation orders had been lifted. “I’m thankful to the heroic men and women at the OC Fire Authority who worked tirelessly over the last week to prevent catastrophic damage and keep Garden Grove families safe from the hazardous materials incident. Their steadfast commitment to serving our community has allowed all evacuated residents in Garden Grove to now return safely to their homes.

“I recognize that, for many families, this is not a return to normal. This crisis has brought chaos and disruption to our community, and I’m committed to holding all those involved accountable to the fullest extent of the law.”

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *