MONTEBELLO — Sozenji Buddhist Temple, 3020 W. Beverly Blvd. in Montebello, will present its 40th annual Community Obon Festival on Sunday, July 17, from 1 to 7 p.m.
An Obon service will be held at 2 p.m.
Cultural performances from 4 to 7 p.m. will include:
– Kodomo no Ie, a preschool children’s chorus;
– Matsutoyo Sato Kai, a folk music group;
– Bon dance led by Hanayagi Rokufukumi, koto artist Kozue Matsumoto and the Cal Arts Japanese Ensemble;
– Maceo Hernandez, “Demon Drummer of East L.A.”;
– Taiko Center of Los Angeles, led by Rev. Shuichi Thomas Kurai.
The festival will also feature Japanese food, a produce sale, a raffle and door prizes.
Bon Odori dance practice will be held on Wednesday, July 13, at 7 p.m. at San Gabriel Japanese Community Center, 5019 Encinita Ave. in Temple City.
Festival is free and open to the public. For more information, call (323) 724-6866, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit Sozenji Buddhist Temple on Facebook.
Sozenji is a Soto Zen Buddhist temple established by Rev. Shuyu Hideo Kurai and members in 1972. The current building opened its doors in 1978.